Free Things to Do in Southern Pines
Posted: April 03, 2018 by Alan Tucker
With the weather hopefully taking a turn for the better, and after the pollen lets up, this is the perfect time to take a day trip to Southern Pines and enjoy some free activities. There are many parks and places to visit to walk the way away. Here’s a few of the best.
There are many parks in the area with a number of different activities that you can be involved with. Pack a picnic and get ready to do some walking at these parks:
- Reservoir Park: located at 300 Reservoir Park Road in Southern Pines you will find a 95-acre lake and such activities as hiking trails, boating and fishing areas, picnic areas with grills and disc golf. There is definitely enough to tire the kids out.
- Martin Dog Park: located at 350 Commerce Avenue in Southern Pines. This place is the bomb for dog and nature lovers. The park offers wooded trails along with wide open green spaces and also a creek for the dogs to romp in.
- Southern Pines Park: 195 South Ashe Street. This park has activities for children of all ages. There are playgrounds for the younger kids, and tennis and basketball for the older children. It’s located in the heart of downtown and has a picnic shelter also.
History and Culture
Spending the day learning a little bit more about the history of the Sandhills area and the culture can be a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
- Shaw House: 110 Morganton Road. This house was built in 1820 and stands at the entrance to Southern Pines off Morganton Road. The house still has original hand-carved mantles, early Moore County pottery and pine furniture.
- Weymouth Center for Arts and Humanities: 555 E Connecticut. The center is a creative campus that includes a theatre, a writer’s colony and a chamber music performance space. It also hosts free events from time to time.
- Creation Museum: 156 NW Broad Street. It shares space with a Christian bookstore, antique museum and Taxidermy Hall of Fame. The Creation Museum is an interesting place to visit. Exhibits include a combination of stories related to creationism, along with an array of artifacts, tools and animals.
This is just a small list of free things to enjoy in the Southern Pines area. After visiting these, you will learn about even more places to spend you free time.